April 19, 2012

Happy After Giving Birth

If you haven't had a baby before, I recommend NOT reading THIS article. {The comments below are the best part, Mitch and I had a few good laughs from them} People always ask me if I'm getting nervous. I honestly don't really think about it, but then they precede to tell me these horrifying birth stories that happened to their sister in law or their cousin. Well, if I wasn't worried before, I sure am now! Thanks a lot... And then I go and read that article "Happily After Giving Birth" and the after math of having a baby sounds even worse than the labor and delivery part! Please tell me some of you out there had "normal" delivery's. And not everyone had this uber terrifying experience. Since I'm only working 1-2 days a week I have a lot of spare time on my hands. I've been obsessing over birth stories, so if you have a good one to share, please do! I love hearing all the different experiences, even if some of them are, well, not so good. I don't know where I have been all these years, but the closer I get, and the more details I hear about child birth, the dumber I feel! I mean, who knew that after you had your baby you have to practically give birth to your placenta? Oh, everyone knew that except for me?? OK.. And I love how everyone waits till the very last few weeks to tell you all the, ummm, dirty details about child birth. Where before I just heard how magical and life changing it is. So, if you have any last minute dirty details you'd like to share, please do! Maybe if I hear all these horrible things before hand, when I actually get there it won't be so bad ;) That sounds like a good plan, right? All in all I am overly excited to have this baby, mucous plug and placenta birthing and all! I have heard that it will be super hard, and you will be super exhausted, but once you look at that little face it makes everything worth it. And even through all of the scary things I hear, I can't help but think one thing... "Come what may and love it".

15 comments:

Rebecca and Taylor Weaver said...

Haha Roz you make me laugh! Your so cute. Not all birth stories are terrifying and dirty. My story with me giving birth is neither of those things. I went in at noon and they broke my water and by 10:30 p.m. she was here! I don't know your birthing plan but mine was to have an epideral. That was the thing I was most scared for and it was so easy! Once I had that I slept and relaxed. I even fell asleep between pushes. I felt no pain. The hardest part for me was not being able to eat! I was starving so I snacked on tick tacs ha ha. Once your little girl is here you will have wonderful memories of that day. I actually said it was so easy I'd have 12! I hope this helps you even a little.

Lindsey Martinez said...

I had no idea about the placenta until it was "that time!" so you're not the only one! Haha.

But honesty I LOVED labor... Weird I know. But as soon as I got my epidural with Boston, I was in heaven! Beckett was a little different since I waited until the very last second to get one... STUPID! Her labor was harder because she came a lot faster then I wouldve liked. Everyone is so different though, it sucks! I wish All labor, deliveries, and healing processes were the same! No surprises! Who knew that you bled for weeks after? Not this girl! Didn't even cross my mind. Ha.

The McGowans said...

lol. I don't know if I have ever told you, but I love your blog. I think it's so cute!

I have a total of three birth stories. None of which are scary, or gory, or make you want to rethink the whole birthing a baby thing even though at this point, you can't exactly get out of it. ;)

One thing for sure to remember is that everyone is different! No one story is the same and no matter how many you read or people share with you, yours will not be the same bc it is yours.

Firstly, get the epidural.. there is no point in putting yourself through labor in this day in age without it. I mean.. Yes, you may be capable of it; but why go through extra pain? (That is just my opinion. ha ha)

Our first of course was the most painful and longest. I had all of our kids at 38 weeks. I was dialted to a 4 and was miserable in the hot MS humdity so my dr took pity on me and induced. They broke my water that morning around 8 am.. and he was born that afternoon. I got an epidural but little mister got stuck on my pelvic bone. It hurt like actual hell bc the epidural couldn't touch that sort of pain. I may not have been feeling the contractions, but I definitely felt him bearing in on my pelvic bone. At one point I was telling Michael that I'd like to have my leg removed, and meant it. He started out on my right one, the nurses kept trying trying to make him move. They could literally feel his head and tried to nicely guide him.. he eventually moved to the left and hung out there for another excruciating hour. There was talk of a c-section. Finally around lunch my dr showed up and literally made all the difference. Bigger hands did the trick. And then after three long hours of pushing, Haiden made his debut. I was exhausted, swollen, and i remember my jaw hurting for a while after. But, he was there and healthy. No more pain, just joy. =)

I believe Haiden literally carved the way through me because Kailey's delivery was amazing. I was 38 weeks along, started having contractions, we drove to the hospital, was admitted around 8pm... got the epidural, played scrabble with Michael... and later in the early morning she arrived after pushing for 15 mins. Didn't hurt at all.. I remember thinking it felt like she just fell out.

Logan was much the same except he was our biggest.. and took much more of an effort than Kailey, but not nearly as much as Haiden. He didn't get stuck though (thankfully), just came right on out after several pushes. I think it took almost an hour for him.

All in all, I don't have bad birth stories. I feel very, very blessed that all of them have been healthy and relatively great--complication-free deliveries. There is just SO much that can happen to baby and mother during delivery... it can be very scary. I've heard horror stories and I'm just ultimately grateful to Heavenly Father. Just think positive and pray.


congratulations by the way! I cannot wait to see your precious baby's pictures.

*Bree* said...

Honestly You will probably be ooooing and ahhing over you sweet little baby and the nurses will have most the gross stuff over with by the time you have 2 seconds to think about it!

Adventures Of A Dairy Farmer's Family. said...

I swear I heard all of the scary stories and no good ones...
So I was really nervous! But in honesty it wasn't that bad! It its like the movies how they are all screaming either haha... The doctors and nurses are there for you! I know they made me feel better and relaxed.. Even with Arai I was in pain and the nurse was right there helping me and talking to me.. They are awesome.. Ask questions and seriously don't worry.. You'll be so busy you wont realize if anything happens!
And the whole Placenta thing is so not even scary.. If you want me to tell you what it was like for me just text me:) I have some stories that are pretty funny.. You'll do awesome! Giving birth is awesome and you'll feel so great afterwords! You don't worry about a thing!

Weston and Crystal said...

Oh Roz! I love reading your blog, it sure puts a smile on my face. Like everyone else has said, giving birth really isn't that scary. The thing I was most nervous about was the epidural and it really wasn't that bad. The worst part is the numbing shot, and that only lasts a few seconds. Defintely recommend an epidural, contractions can be extremly uncomfortable. The thing I didn't know about when getting an epidural is they do a blood clotting test. They cut a slit in my arm and every 30 seconds would dab it to see when it slowed down. Where I was, they wouldn't let you bleed longer than 10 min (if you did, you couldn't get your epidural)...I bled till 9 minutes and 30 secs. I was super worried...but was able to get it! i don't know if they do that everywhere, but in Madison they do.

Also, when I had to deliver my placenta...the doctor just did it for me. He told me to relax and he would do it. All he did was massage my stomach. That's another thing I didn't know about either. Also, for a while after birth, the nurses will continue to massage your stomach to make sure things are tightening back up and it prevents your from hemmoraging (sp?). No idea they did that either.

Good luck with everything! You will do great! Let me know if you have any questions you want to ask. Still pretty fresh on my mind, Shailee is only 2 1/2 months old.

Crystal

Rebecca and Taylor Weaver said...

I've never heard of getting a blood clotting test for an epideral. No one I know has had that done. Maybe some doctors do it and others don't. Hopefully you won't have to do that Roz!

Unknown said...

Its not bad at all....you will do great! You probably dont know me very well but i knew mitch from high school....anyways getting an epidural was the best thing i did because after that it was a breeze:-) dont let anything scare you because its so worth it when you get to hold your sweet baby for the first time! Good
luck:-)

Nicole Arnold said...

You crack me up. FYI I have also never ever heard of the blood clot thing. Weird. I have delivered babies in 3 different states and haven't heard. Here is what I think. All experiences are different. My first one was the hardest--- but at the time I thought it was great. Til I had the other 2 and I felt like they fell out. lol My only suggestion is to GET an Epidural. Makes life great and everything easier! You'll do great. The unknown is always scary but once its over you'll think it wasn't bad! Plus its all worth it in the end when your baby is in your arms!

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

I had great experiences all three times! I had no epidural with Livee and she was the first one and it was hard but it is kinda like a really hard workout. It hurts but you know how good you will feel when you are done. With Emmi and Sophia I had an epidural and while I was in labor I was like is this real? This is so relaxing. It was very do-able. Just remember that when it is time to push, PUSH! Don't hold back. Don't let it take all day just push you will do great and forget about how hard it is right when she is born. Good luck and I love you.
Kenzie

Anonymous said...

A few hints...
- freeze some pads
- enjoy her first hours, she will be really alert...
- breastfeeding hurts!!! But only for a short while, then you can't beat the convenience!
- you can poop during pushing =-0
- try to be as present as you can when hubby holds her for the first time... It will forever be imprinted on your heart!
- take loads of pics! Even intimate ones that only you ever see... I really regret not doing that.
- it is not as bad as our horror stories.
- enjoy it! Really!

Nikky and Zach said...

I've had a baby and I'm still freaked out about labor! Don't worry though, by the end of your pregnancy you are so miserable you will do anything to get that baby out of you! :) Believe me, I'm at that point now!

Anonymous said...

Don't be grossed out. Look at the placenta. That's the 'organ' that kept your baby alive all these months. Childbirth is a miracle. Enjoy it.

JeNnA said...

Giving birth is the best thing in the world. I seriously look forward to it! 1st babe labor was 7 hours pushed for less than 2 minutes. Baby #2 labor was4 hours and pushed under 5 minutes! But Just because people have bad stories doesn't mean you are the exact same! I am excited for you!

Denning's said...

Don't listen to the bad stories! Why do people like to share them with pregnant ladies anyway? It's not nice! I would take a prenatal class from the hospital if you still have time. It prepared Lance and I and made me feel more confident. Don't be afraid to ask questions to the nurse and doctor because they are happy to answer them all. I had a great nurse and we connected and "meshed" well and my biggest recommendation is to ask for a different nurse if you don't feel yours is helpful. I thought I could be so strong and do the delivery without an epidural, but I was in good hard labor for a few days and by the time I got to the hospital I had no more energy. After the epidural things went fast because I relaxed, he came in a few hours with two pushes, I had no clue I had delivered the placenta, and I completely let the nurses do their thing and pamper and spoil me the entire hopsital stay! You will do great! If you don't take a class just read up on the different phases of labor so that you can try and decipher between the beginning stages and the "real deal". Good luck!