December 3, 2010
Someone's Little Angel
This morning a few girls from my school and I went over to the Assisted Living Center that is down the street from my house. We went room to room and sang Christmas Carols to the elderly. There was one cute old man who spoke very little English that touched my heart today. We tried to talk to him in the little Spanish that we learned last semester, but ended up just singing to him, "Silent Night." Towards the last verse he got a little teary eyed and it reminded me so much of my grandpa who passed away earlier this year. It brought back memories of the many hours I spent holding his hand at a place very similar to where we were today. Before I knew it there were tears streaming down my face and I couldn't even continue singing. I felt the spirit so strong and I could almost hear my Grandpa whispering how much he loved me. There was so much joy in that little room filled with song. I rushed right over and gave that man a hug because he helped me remember not only how much I love and miss my grandpa, but he also reminded me how something so simple can bring so much joy to your heart. Every person that we sang to today was SO grateful just to have someone stop in their room and ask how they are doing and sing a simple song. I learned a lot about the residents in such a short amount of time. There was another man who just lost his wife a short 5 weeks ago. He bore his testimony to us of the love of his wife and how he can't wait to spend eternity with her. He shared a poem his wife wrote to him on Valentines day which also was the birth of their first child. He gave me a copy and I'd like to share it with you all...
For My Eternal Sweetheart
God made a lot of sweethearts
In his royal courts on high,
And deep within each heart he placed
A love that would not die
These sweethearts made Eternal vows,
Were promised royal birth,
And if they'd keep His holy laws
Would meet again on earth.
I do not know, I only feel-
My darling, we were there
And felt the thrill to know we'd meet
Again sometime, somewhere.
The years flew by, we wondered where
And when we'd meet each other
But God had planned a meeting place
Away from dad and mother.
In His own time, In His own place
I gave myself to thee,
Our eternal love was sealed
For time and eternity
Each day since then is Sweetheart day
Our vows we live anew
So accept Sweetheart these sentiments
Wrapped in my love so true.
Forever- Louise L. Harmon
February 14, 1950
This adorable man had this entire poem memorized and spoke right to my heart. I hope during this Christmas season you realize how important service is. I have found no greater joy than when I'm serving others. I've also found that when I am serving, I feel like I take away more than what I intended to give. So if you have a little prompting to go visit someone or to give them a simple phone call, take heed to that prompting because you never know how much some one needs you. I called my grandma to tell her I was thinking about her and the experience I had earlier and she said, "Bless you're heart, you were someone's little Angel today." This of course brought me to tears once again, but just remember, especially this Holiday season, take a little time each day to be "someone's little angel"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Roz- I got teary eyed! I am so sad that I couldn't be there today! Thanks for sharing the experience!
what a sweet post. you are just amazing! thanks for your christlike example, your words brought me to tears!
Post a Comment