August 27, 2009

a tribute to raisins....

This morning at 6:30 a.m. Me and Mitch headed out to the grape vineyards in Medera. They have a thing called "Grape Harvest" here in California like our "Potato Harvest" back in Idaho.. The church owns some vineyards and each ward is assigned 2 or 3 rows (which are extremely long) to harvest the grapes. All you do is cut the grape from the vine into a bucket then lay them on some special brown paper to dry. Then they get shipped to a factory to make raisins! It was a really great experience (minus all the spiders and HUGE grasshoppers) I have the worst fear of grasshoppers, always have.. always will. So thank goodness for husbands, whenever I saw a spiderweb or a grasshopper he reached back and cut those vines for me. We got pretty dirty, but it was a great experience! Now we can say we helped start off the process to making raisins.. And it was an awesome way to wake up and start our day by serving our Lord in his grape vineyards..

5 comments:

Powell's Place said...

Wow! That sounds like an adventure. The pictures are beautiful. High five to your hubby for taking care of you in the fields. I was in the shower a couple of nights ago and a spider came out of nowhere and was dropping down right above my head. I was defenseless in the shower and called to my husband to come rescue me; he told me to take care of it myself and to not be such a ninny! ggrr.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are having such a fun summer! Smart to do all the temples in California! Good luck... that will be hard to stay awake during the session. So cool though! I can't believe we are so close to each othere out here. Medera isn't too far from us. I think about 40 minutes. Also, I was looking at your cheer days (you are so gorgeous!) and I saw Sara Stanley in some of your pics! She was a good friend of my little sister, Emily in high school!

Destry and Liz said...

That looks so fun! I miss you guys! We are GOING on a FUN trip when you get home..we should go camping...or to Jackson...I could think of so many fun things for us! Im stocking up on the toilet paper!!!!

Morrows said...

This looks so fun! You have done so many fun things.

Anonymous said...

ha so this is bringing back memories of walking through long rows of wheat trying to entertain ourselves! Not to mention laying down and hiding from the drill sargent! man am I glad to never do that again!!!