June 1, 2012

Hospital Stay And Going Home!

B's first day of life! Spent in the T Hospital..We both had a rough start. With Brikelle, her temperature wasn't keeping up so she had to keep going under the warmers. The horrible nurses scared Mitch and I to pieces. Instead of explaining what was going on they would just take the baby in a panic and only say, "If her temperature doesn't keep up we're taking her to NICU for a bunch of tests." Then they would just roll our baby away and we would be left not knowing what was going on. THEN another rude nurse woke us up to take her blood glucose levels. They were very low. I tried to explain to her that the nurse told us she would wake us up in two hours for me to feed her and she never showed up so she hasn't been fed yet. It seemed obvious to me that if she hasn't eaten anything for a long period of time, her blood glucose levels would be low. But instead of letting me feed her she rolled her away and said she needed to run more tests. So there went my starving baby with this awful nurse and my husband was about ready to rip someone a new one. We were so frustrated because we didn't know where our baby was going and no one was explaining to us what was going on. And when we asked questions they were very rude and acted like we were making their lives so hard by asking so many questions. We finally got a new shift of nurses and it made all the difference in the world. They kindly explained to us that since Brikelle was a bit bigger baby she uses a lot more energy and quicker so her temperature was a little lower than normal. And once my baby was fully fed her blood glucose levels were totally normal. {You think??} So my baby was finally doing good and I felt comfortable with the new set of nurses who were taking care of her. Then there was my whole morning. On top of worrying about my baby and being overly frustrated with stupid nurses, I went to the bathroom and wanted to hop in the shower. But my body wasn't having it. I luckily had my mom next to me and the nurse was actually in my room. I tried getting up and I passed out. So they carried me back to bed and there I stayed... I was in so much pain, swollen, and I couldn't pee, SO in went the catheter again. I would rather go through pregnancy and labor a hundred times before going through the few days after labor. My body was hating life! Thank goodness for strong drugs and my mom! I had THEE worst nurses. I cut them a tiny bit of slack because there were quite a few people having babies that weekend. Everyone warned me that nurses come in and bug you all the time. I would go hours and hours without seeing anyone. They weren't keeping up on my pain killers, they weren't emptying out my catheter. My poor mom and husband had to keep going out there and asking them to do their job. It was overly annoying. So I was extremely grateful to have my husband and mom there because they WERE my nurses during the hospital stay. I did have one nurse that took good care of me, so I can't say Every nurse there was worthless. I wish she would have been able to stay with me during my entire stay. It makes such a difference when you have a good nurse who is actually willing to take care of you and answer all of your new mommy questions without being annoyed. WHEW! So my rant about horrible nurses is over. Every time I held my perfect little B, all was right in the world...
One final rant.. The nurse didn't even offer me a wheelchair going out of the hospital. Isn't that like a rule or something to be wheeled out? Ok I'm done.. B didn't make a peep the whole way home. We are so grateful to be in our own home and having our baby girl with us.

9 comments:

elise said...

rant away! you deserve it after those few days! congrats again my dear!

Kaeli & Kyle said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Yes, horrible nurses and I dont blame you for your ranting and raving! You better have gotten a lot of free stuff! I hated the nurses coming in every second but I guess I should be glad I was getting my pain meds :) And the wheelchair thing.. uh ya, I thought that was a rule!! Glad you are home! SHes beautiful!

Kevin and Keeli said...

After reading your last two posts I have to comment! First off, she's beautiful and im glad everything is going good for you now! But, as a nurse myself (i work in oncology though), I have to say that after having two babies, I also was NOT impressed with postpartum nurses (no offense to anyone!). I think they kind of expect the family you have around to do a lot of the things you need help with and I had several nurses that I only saw maybe once or twice the entire 12 hour shift! So ya, not ok by me either. Sorry yours do sound exceptionally terrible though! Even the part about you laboring for hours and them not letting you be admitted until 5 cm is crazy!!! I would have thrown a fit! Maybe don't recommend that hospital to other people ;) But I hope everything is going good at home now! Enjoy being a mom! its the best!

Abby said...

Wow! Oh I'm so sorry you had a horrible experience with the nurses... How annoying!! I would've been a wreck if I had no help from my nurses... Especially on your first baby since you dont know what going on! Sheesh! Glad you are finally home! She is so sweet and beautiful!
So, I'm coming to UT/ID in a few weeks, and I would love to meet up with you... I'll be in UT from June 24-July 1... I want to see that cute baby!

McKenzie said...

Oh my gosh. That is awful and it is a LAW in Utah that you should be wheeled out in a wheel chair. Oh my goodness, I'm sorry you had such a horrible time! Congratulations though, Brikelle is beautiful!

thejess's said...

ahh i love seeing all these pics! But can't believe your stupid nurses!! I'm so sorry!! Can't wait to see you guys!!

Jacqueline Clark said...

If it makes you feel better it's not just at Timp that postpartum nurses are horrible. I delivered at Madison and Bingham and they are just distant and rude. The two sweet nurses I did have left their shift before my baby came. I excpected to do most of it my last delivery from my first experience so it helped me not be so irritated with them haha. She is beautiful!!!

Kassie said...

I had a horrible nurse at Madison when I was delivering my first baby. It really does make all the difference! Congrats on your new baby girl :)

Scott Family said...

oh man roz!! that's awful. i delivered at american fork with braden and it was nice. it's probably a small hospital vs. large hospital thing. i think there were only 3 other babies born the same day as b. thank goodness you do have an awesome mom and hubby to take care of you!!